Is Netgear authentication error being a troublemaker for you? Oops! Looks like you are in desperate need of our help. But before we start assisting, let’s first introduce you to the authentication error – What it means, contributing factors leading to it, and much more. So, let’s begin, shall we?
What Exactly Does the Netgear Authentication Error Mean?
Netgear authentication error means that the password you are typing in order to connect to your WiFi range extender is either wrong or you’ve typed it incorrectly. There is also a possibility that the default password would be correct but the username isn’t.
Whatever the case might be, fixing these two issues will put an end to the Netgear authentication error. In this blog post, we will provide you with the best fixes to get rid of the authentication error once and for all. So, continue reading.
Proven Ways to Fix Netgear Authentication Error
Restart Your Netgear Extender
What do you do when one of your technical devices stops working? You restart it. That is exactly what you need to do here in order to get rid of the Netgear authentication error. Restarting your extender will restore it to its factory default settings.
Follow the steps mentioned below to properly restart your WiFi range extender:
- Unplug your Netgear extender from the wall socket.
- Wait patiently for a minute or two.
- Now, plug your extender back into the socket and try to connect it with the network.
Enter the Default Password Correctly
As we stated earlier, entering a wrong password is the major reason leading to the Netgear authentication error. Therefore, make sure that you enter the right password and username while trying to perform the Netgear Nighthawk setup.
Things you need to keep in mind in order to enter the password correctly:
- Keep your eyes open while typing the default password.
- Avoid typos as much as you can.
- Cross-check whether you’ve entered the exact characters of the password (nothing less or more) as mentioned in the Netgear manual.
If you remember these few things while entering the password, then you’ll surely be able to say good-bye to the Netgear authentication issue.
Update the Firmware of Your Extender
The firmware is an important software for your Netgear WiFi as it provides it with the latest features to work properly. Sometimes, the reason why many users come across the Netgear authentication error is because of an outdated firmware. So, if you really want to get rid of the authentication issue, then you need to keep the firmware of your extender updated.
Go through the instructions mentioned below and know how to update the firmware of your Netgear WiFi range extender:
- First and foremost, log into your WiFi extender by accessing www.mywifiext.net.
- Once the Netgear extender login page appears on your screen, click on Settings > Administration.
- Done? Now, check for any available firmware updates. If the latest version of firmware is available, then click on the Firmware Update option without hesitating.
Reset Your WiFi Range Extender
Updating the firmware of your Netgear extender didn’t send the Netgear authentication error away? No problem. You can give the ultimate fix a try – Factory Default Reset.
Caution: Resetting your Netgear extender will restore it to its factory default settings. Everything that you changed till now will go back to its default nature. There is no going back then.
Are you ready to take the risk? Gotcha! Follow the steps outlined below to restore your Netgear WiFi range extender to its default settings:
- Firstly, ensure that your Netgear extender and router are securely connected.
- Then, locate the Reset button on your range extender.
- Once found, take an oil pin and press it carefully.
- Now, wait patiently for the changes to get executed.
All the troubleshooting tips mentioned in this post are easy to follow. But, in case you get stuck anywhere on the road, then feel free to contact us anytime. We are always available to assist you and you give you an instant solution.